Custom Roll & Shaft Manufacturing
With our extensive range of turning, grinding, milling, and EDM capabilities, PMi2 is well equipped for most types of custom roll and shaft work including:
- CNC turned Rolls and Shafts up to 20 inches in diameter and 120 inches long. PMi2 operates turning centers with up to 35 inches of swing, 120 inches of cutting length, and 10 inches of spindle bore. This equipment can turn long diameters up to 20 inches over the saddle, but can turn larger diameters on shorter parts. Also, with 10 inches of spindle bore, most rolls and shafts can be inserted thru the machine spindle for performing end work and journal repairs.
- Rolls and Shafts requiring OD grinding. Our roll grinder is capable of grinding rolls and shafts up to 14 inches in diameter and 62 inches in length. The grinding operation is particularly helpful when:
- A very fine surface finish is required
- A very accurate OD tolerance for size, roundness, or taper is required
- Concentricity between bearing journals is a concern
- Shafts requiring end work such as hole patterns and keyways. PMi2 has developed specialty milling equipment to efficiently perform end work on rolls and shafts. Hole patterns are routinely machined for removable journals or bearing housings. Keyways are a common feature on custom shafts for power transmission to mate up with couplings, pulleys, gears, etc.
- Rolls for tire or textile manufacturing operations requiring fine grooves or other special features
- Motor Shafts, Gearbox Shafts, Drive Shafts, and other types of power transmission shafts
- Calendaring rolls
- Work Rolls and Backup Rolls for rolling mills
- Rolls for any other web type production operations
- Rolls and Shafts requiring Nitriding, Heat Treatment, or Surface Treatment operations such as plasma coating, black oxide, anodizing, chrome or nickel plating
An OD ground and precision grooved roll being validated in PMi2’s gauge room